Thursday, November 5, 2015


From True Crime to Christmas with the Amish to A Little Romance and Mystery:  My Favorite Winter Reads

 
            Like many librarians when a holiday break is approaching, I am starting to think about good books with which I can curl up and enjoy.  I enjoy a variety of fiction and true crime, so the possibilities are limitless!  First, to satisfy my love of true crime, I am going to reread my favorite Ann Rule titles.  I LOVE Ann Rule and when she passed away several months ago, I was absolutely heartbroken.  Nobody can tell the victim’s story like she could.  By the end of her books, I really felt like I knew the victim and her family.  I’m going to start with Too Late to Say Goodbye and then also reread Bitter Harvest, and And Never Let Her Go (all available at the NWCC learning resource centers). I’ll also probably reread some of her collections of shorter stories.   If you are interested in reading any Ann Rule titles, the LRC has 12 of them! RIP, Ms. Rule.  You had a true gift for capturing the essence of someone’s soul!
 

 

            Next, I have a passion for Christmas books about the Amish.  I particularly love Amy Clipston, Shelley Shepard Gray, and Beverly Lewis.  Ms. Clipston and Ms. Gray usually have really good Christmas books.  Gray’s A Christmas Bride in Pinecraft: An Amish Brides of Pinecraft Christmas Novel just came out in October and I look forward to reading it over the holidays.  Clipston and Ruth Reid have recently published An Amish Christmas Gift:  Three Amish Novellas that I also look forwarding to reading.  The NWCC LRC has A Plain and Simple Christmas: A Novella, by Amy Clipston if you like Amish fiction. 



          Other Amish fiction favorites on my list include



           
         Finally, I have a penchant for just good ole light romances, sometimes with a dash of mystery thrown in for good measure.  I particularly love Susan Wiggs, Debbie Macomber, Sherryl Woods, and Fern Michaels.  Susan Wiggs’ Starlight on Willow Lake came out in August and I still have not read it.  I plan to remedy that during the holiday break!  Another favorite, Debbie Macomber, has TWO Christmas books out—Dancing through the Snow and Christmas Wishes:  Christmas Letters/Rainy Day Kisses.  I CANNOT wait to read both of these!  Sherryl Woods has a new Chesapeake Shores novel, Willow Book Road, that is on my holiday list.  Finally, one of my absolute favorites is Fern Michaels’ the Sisterhood and Godmother series.  She has a new Christmas book, Wishes for Christmas.  Fasten your seatbelts, the ladies are back and want to give a warm, happy holiday!
 
 


These are just SOME of my favorites.  I cannot wait to dive into them.  Nothing gives me a warmer, happier, holiday feeling than curling up with a good book!  Come by one of our campuses and check out your favorite holiday reads.  Happy holidays and happy reading, everyone!

 

2 comments:

Tenise said...

Great post, Melissa!

Anne said...

Thanks for the recommendations. It's good to have some information to help choose which to pick.